Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!

Thread: Linking an external product to store.

deviantla

Default Linking an external product to store.

Okay, what I am looking to do may not be possible, but I figured I would ask.

What we are looking to do is a business card design site. The entire process will happen across 2 sites. The first site will be the template site, where the information to go on the cards is entered. The customer will also choose their quantity, and then send the order. This is real basic stuff. Here is the hard part. The results of the first site, i.e. the card quantity and style, need to go to another site where the commerce part of the order takes place. I have tried linking directly to the shopping cart with various quantities, however the cart always comes back empty. I have used a couple different formulas to do this, but nothing worked. I know I can link to the product page, but we are trying to avoid the user having to select a quantity twice (the quantity needs to be selected on the main page due to they are printing the cards). Another reason for trying to avoid this is if they order 1000 cards & only pay for 500, we take a hit naturally.

So here is my question... is there a way to send data from one site directly to the shopping cart on the other side?

met00

Default RE: Linking an external product to store.

yes.
    See the thread here about passing quantities to the shopping cart for a clue on how to do what you want.

deviantla

I must be missing it. I have searched but cannot find it. Can ya link me on that?

BTW thanks for the reply. Been out of pocket here for a few days.

met00

you want to talk about out of pocket, on Sunday my server (fc2) was breached (started with a PHP exploit) and a hacker issued an rm -rf / on it. I've been rebuilding the server for 2 days (fc3 with the PHP exploit fixed by upgrading to a newer version of PHP as well).

Anyway, there was a recent discussion about passing the quantity back and forth from the product_info pages, do a search for my recent posts and you will see the thread (I don't remember it offhand).