Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!

Thread: Editing text in order confirmation email

netviper

Default Editing text in order confirmation email

I have been searching for this, but I can't seem to find the answer. Where do I edit what a use gets when they place an order?

Please help.

jpf

Default Re: Editing text in order confirmation email

See in the language files for checkout_success.php for some of the text used...

netviper

Does that change the text on the order complete page or does it change the text on the email that goes out to the customer?

I changed it, but honestly it doesn't show up in either place so I am really confused.

Thanks,

jpf

Sorry: /language/english/checkout_process.php

define('EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT', 'Order Process');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_ORDER_NUMBER', 'Order Number:');

This is formated and setup in about line 290 onwards in catalog/checkout_process.php

trochia

1) Please do not think I am thread hijacking

2) This question goes along with just simply changing subjuct as I wouls alo like to include "more text" in the body of the new order

3) I would like to just create a NEW FILE, and INCLUDE, so that the user can edit this (single file) without having to get lost in a bunch of php code and possibly screw things up.

4) What file is used to process the e-mails for such (new order e-mail)

Thank-you,

jpf

In order to do what your asking - mean removing a whole lot of code to a new file - changing all the variables - adding and modifying a ton of stuff for all your emails.

There is no problem in changing and adding to stuff in the email with what is already there.

trochia

Thank-you for the reply, but why would you think...something that "most users" will need to modify (or edit)...that it would be just able to pull this data (information), from the database...instead of manually changing many times...in many files...that all do the same thing?

Thx again for the question-response.

jpf

Sorry? Did I say "most users"?

Most users will modify a good amount of stuff in the admin - like setup and intro pages. Then add there items and modify them etc.... on a monthly, weekly or daily basis.

However for CUSTOMIZATION that is for "most users" is done as "as needed" or on first setup. "Most user" don't do this on a constant bases.

In order to customized you store - edit your template and language files - just like anything else - including automated emails.

Your Email format/setup - is in the template folders and the text is in the language folders. Just like the other 99% of the store.

What your asking is changing how osc treats languages and text display/generation - so to change HOW OSC (and thus oscmax) treats and generates Email. Then add a interface to change/edit all the automated emails that osc uses - need a whole lot of changing. For something that "most users" NEVER do and a few change maybe ONCE when setting and customization there store ---or possible TWICE in the life of the store.

Would it not be easier just to change the files ONCE in the languages folders? Just like any other static text displayed in the store...

Why would there be a need to put the static setup and static text for multi-languages for several different types of email into a dynamically driven database system then create a complicated system in order to manage something maybe once..... Then in order to generate a 10 line email - you want to put that though SQL - process that to put a few pieces of data?

We don't even do that with the mainpage display.

With Hundreds of Thousands of sites - it is the FEW not the MANY that edit the minor things like emails - cause they are generic enough for MOST people (but not all). If they do edit it is often minor and only a few files of the hundreds of language files which contain several thousands of saying and lines used though osc.

met00

JPF, what he is asking for is a mod called "e-mail changes" in the admin. This would allow him to set up a store for a customer and then turn it over to the customer with no support other than to say "you can use that admin to change everything the customer sees."

So, when the system sends an e-mail for recover carts, you would be able to edit that e-mail via the admin. The same for signup/welcome and checkout. I believe those are the standard e-mails that come with OSCMax.

As you point out, there are many users of the product and some of them set up stores for clients as a one-time deal. The clients don't know what secure shell is, have no idea what a template or language directory are and just want to operate an on-line working store. But, at the same time they also want to be able to change their e-mails and personalize them.

So, the answer is... you will have to modify the code where it sends the e-mail to call a module called sendstoremail.php. That file will take whatever is sent over in content from the database and wrap it with a front and/or back text that is created by the store owner in an admin component and then send the e-mail. One new file on the front (customer side). One new file on the admin (to allow them to create and modify the text). Changes in three locations (where e-mail is sent to the store customer) to call the new module. I would put the new e-mail text in a new table in the database, so a new database table would have to be created and that would just about do it for the module.

jpf

Quote Originally Posted by met00 View Post
    JPF, what he is asking for is a mod called "e-mail changes" in the admin.
    I am fully aware of what he is looking for - however is there a mod ? If not - it means ripping the system appart - make a new interface - just to change a few lines of text.

There is already a simple system to edit any language file - email or whatever - it called "Define Language" or even can use "File Manager" under the tools menu.