Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!

Thread: Roll Call?

osCMax Development Team

Roll Call?

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

Question Roll Call?

It'd be interesting to know how many were still actively using osCmax..

What have you found to replace it?

Developers resource at bitbucket
    oscmax.co.uk / ejsolutions.co.uk
    Hosting plans with installation, configuration, contributions, support and maintenance.
    *** FREE osCmax hosting available ***
    oscmaxtemplates.com

osCMax Development Team

Roll Call?

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

Default Re: Roll Call?

Overwhelming response. :'(

Hosting plans with installation, configuration, contributions, support and maintenance.
    oscmaxtemplates.com

Lurker

Total Contributions For

otibt     $ 0.00

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Hi
    I still use oscmax for two sites
    www.oticomputers.ro
    www.cartus-imprimanta.ro

Roll Call?

Total Contributions For

Markcm     $ 0.00

I left long ago, while I appreciate his work, I never understood why Michael ghosted. I can understand why he may have moved on from this project but commication was so far between and when he did turn up every year or so, rather than saying he's retiring he would say that the next release is almost ready and coming soon, then finally... "ghosted". I made a few small donations to test the water but it was pretty obviously a fruitless effort. My oscmax just kept getting less stable and secure to the point I had to leave.

I looked at the latest in oscommerse but it still required much work not to look outdated, and requires maintenance. I then looked at Presta Cart, it was pretty smooth looking and while I don't think the cost was too bad, I didn't really understand the whole approach. Lots of others like magenta or all-in-one host/commerse packages had more re-occurring expenses than I wanted to take on. But with oscmax, it was ridiculous fighting to keep USPS postal module working and keep order alert emails coming in, basic things were just breaking.

Finally, I ended up with Open Cart and I love it.

My oscmax database was pretty modified, I tried to migrate on my own but it was just too much work. I paid Cart2Cart and they did a great job. I bought a handful of open cart modules/extensions right out of the gate for advance/customized; there are a ton of great options for customization on both the admin and the shop side, prices range from free to about $50 on average. I probably spent $500 on migration and a bunch of extensions like redirects, ajax functions, abandoned cart modules, follow up for feedback, postage modules... Money well spent. Granted, a person doesn't have to drop $500, I just chose to. My Open Cart has been stable this whole time, I am VERY happy with it.

osCMax Development Team

Roll Call?

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

Quote Originally Posted by Markcm View Post
    Granted, a person doesn't have to drop $500, I just chose to.
    Ouch!

oscmaxtemplates.com

Roll Call?

Total Contributions For

Markcm     $ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by ridexbuilder View Post
    Ouch!
    I honestly don't feel one bit of remorse, I love my opencart website, I have fun with the small side business I run on there which easily paid for this and most importantly, the pain and suffering I endured over the prior 3+ year of constantly fixing my oscmax which sorta worked the way I needed it to but never really worked right. Now that you got me on a roll, that was the best dang $500 I'd spent in a long time and I encourage others to follow suit. Its been nothing but smooth sailing with a well oiled fully functional opencart shop since that $500 left my hands. Also keep in mind that I didn't write a $500 check, I paid for the database migration which depending on how much you need to save isn't a requirement, and then I plunked away at buying really good modules which all came with really good support, one at a time. My choice to spend the $$ was also based on the fact that vanilla opencart is free, where as so many other solutions have a monthly or annual fee. I don't mind paying an honest price for a great product, free isn't always free when you are done. Heck, you'd be lucky to get a set of tires for your car for $500, my time and sanity have value.

For those of you out there who have installed your own custom oscmax mods and then had to get them working and then later fix them again, ask yourself, would you really feel bad paying a developer $10 to $50 for a really well built module which installs with a single click and if you have any issues they jump right in and fix it for you? I hope not. I can recall times when my oscmax would break and it would take hours if not days to find and implement a solution, sometimes my site would be down during this as well. Guess what, my $500 tricked out opencart shop hasn't missed a beat and I have 100% of my original 15 year old database, every sale, every customer, every review, every detail.

Yes indeed, for me that was $500 well spent. I have to thank you ridexbuilder for reminding me what a good decision it was to move on. What a constant stress'r it was during the last few years of oscmax and how much better life has been without the issues. Paypal always having an issue of some sort, order notifications never working, Postage modules sort of worked but not really, security holes, incompatibility with new features, sometimes finding a fix for these things only for them to mysteriously stop working again, uhg, what a nightmare that was.

So, you all will enjoy your opencart shops when oscmax finally drops the straw that breaks your back too.

If any of this sounds familiar to any of you, I'll see you on the other side. Until then, there's more oscmax waiting to be worked on so it might function the way you need it to, for awhile, and its "free".

Cheers