PDA

View Full Version : Generating Google Sitemap

rivervalleydiscount
07-04-2011, 02:44 AM
When going to Configuration-->Google-->Google SiteMaps adn clicking on the "regenerate" link a page pops up displaying the Google Sitemaps Generation Report. However there is nothing there except for a blank screen and the "x" to close.

So there is no indication if the sitemap is generated or not, let alone just what the filename or location would be for one to submit to Google Webmaster Tools. I would assume that the file name would be sitemap.xml and located at http://yoursite.com/sitemap.xml but looking at the directory there is nothing close to this except for the sitemap.php.

Just where is the sitemap stored and how can we verify that it is created before submitting to google?

ridexbuilder
07-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Using 2.5 RC1:

Suggest you turn on error reporting if not getting this.

rivervalleydiscount
07-04-2011, 08:59 AM
EJ,

The wiki says to un-comment the following lines to turn on error reporting:
// set the level of error reporting
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~'E_DEPRECATED');

// KISS Error Handling & Debugging by FWR Media
include_once 'includes/kiss_error_handler.php';

So when I uncomment them I then receive the error:

Now remember, I am not too hot on php coding here :(

When I click on the generate, I get the following screen image:

And it just hangs there forever.....

I am attaching the last portion of the current raw access log from the server. It looks to me like it is generating, or was generated, but not quite sure what I am looking at here. Any ideas?http://www.oscmax.com/forums/images/misc/pencil.png

rivervalleydiscount
07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Ok, just found out the error. I just moved the entire store to the root. I am able to create the sitemap just fine now. It appears that this is going to be a bug. When the store is located in a sub-domain it is hanging up.

Should I post this in bug tracker?

ridexbuilder
07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
No, not yet anyway. It is your 'messing about'/environment that is likely the cause (reading between the lines on other threads).
Look at my screenshot and you will see that is is in the default catalog sudirectory of a sub,sub-domain.

rivervalleydiscount
07-04-2011, 09:28 AM
No, not yet anyway. It is your 'messing about'/environment that is likely the cause (reading between the lines on other threads).
Look at my screenshot and you will see that is is in the default catalog sudirectory of a sub,sub-domain.

Well the good news is that it is working ;)

For future reference for myself, in regards to the error reporting, any thoughts on what I am doing wrong there? The wiki is kind of lacking on that other than to remove the 2 commented out lines. But then when I did so was getting the parse error. Not quite sure just what a "parse" error is but if there is a way to turn on error reporting then hopefully that will be helpful in the future.

And thank you again for your input on this one :D

michael_s
07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
For future reference for myself, in regards to the error reporting, any thoughts on what I am doing wrong there?

You mis-read the wiki. It says to comment the lines in question, not uncomment.

Like this:

// set the level of error reporting
// error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~'E_DEPRECATED');

// KISS Error Handling & Debugging by FWR Media
// include_once 'includes/kiss_error_handler.php';

From the 2.5 Faq in the wiki:

Q. I have a problem and want to see error messages for my store

A. Edit catalog/includes/application_top.php and change the file so that it looks like the following: (Basically commenting out the two lines using two backslashes)

rivervalleydiscount
07-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Lol....it is always the simplest things in life that are the hardest to do :)